more points for authoring maps?
submit to reddit

• I think the points system should distinguish between dumping maps & hosting maps that one created. This could be done by giving points whenever someone claims a map.

Obviously it takes whole lot more effort to make new maps. Good idea?

It also helps to bring more original works to nibbits that can't be easily found on bnet.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Asuka[LF]
    Realm:
    US East
  • It can take a lot of effort to review maps as you upload them too (as I do). But I agree authoring maps is a lot more work--depending on the map. The only potential issue I see is possibly more people either trying to steal credit saying they made a map (for more points) or more people putting up really shitty maps or way too many untested versions of a map (both of which already happen to some extent). So I dunno, a judgment call.

Battle.net
    Name:
    -BW-Map_God
    Realm:
    US West
  • I wouldn't mind more credit for all of the projects I've made. I totally agree with dokebi.

I haz custom title
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Shadow_Templar
    Realm:
    US West
  • I definitely agree with both points. Just have to come with up with a good and clean way to make it work. The hardest problem is always dealing with people trying to game the system :)

Have feedback about Nibbits.com? Let me know!
    Addict
  • I could see how trying to figure who made what and if its legit or not could be hard work without manual inspection.

I haz custom title
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Shadow_Templar
    Realm:
    US West
  • umm also, how about more points for creating threads that get many replies?

I've observed that it's actually rare to see interesting threads that draw a lot of responses. I guess it's hard to be creative with forum topics.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Asuka[LF]
    Realm:
    US East
  • I have an idea on authors verification. It's not fully automatic and requires a kind of manual inspection from moderators but only when problems arise.

How it works:
    1. Each author have to claim his authorship on the map before he can be considered the author here on nibbits.
    2. Once the authorship is claimed the author can't change his opinion without moderator's confirmation.
    3. On the other hand, moderators may only delete people who explicitly request for this action.
    4. Anyone (including the author himself!) can vote for or against each author providing an obligatory comment with arguments (see *Note). Everyone can either completely change their votes or change their arguments and opinions (probably with the changes history saved). People don't gain XP for voting either for or against the author (see **Note).
    5. There is a confidence meter for each author on each map. When someone votes for (against) the author the voter's XP added to (subtracted from) this meter.
    6. When the confidence meter is positive (non positive) the author gains (doesn't gain) an addition in map points to his XP and all the other privileges the author should have here on nibbits. The amount of the addition depends on the map value/popularity. Please note that this doesn't require "manual inspection".
    7. When the confidence meter is negative the map appears on the special page for moderators, who can read all the arguments and decide to declare the author a stealer and possibly apply some measures (non obligatory). On the other hand moderators may declare some votes with arguments untrue and possibly apply some measures to such voters.
    8. Map stealers (if any) are listed in the map information in the special field "Stealers" near the "Authors" field.
    9. While a man is considered to be a stealer of the map he gains subtraction from his XP in amount of points the map has and all the other penalties he should have here on nibbits. (Again, the amount of subtraction depends on the map value/popularity.)
    10. If a man while being considered a stealer gains positive confidence meter his figure appears on the moderators page again.
    11. Moderators can change their decision for stealers with positive confidence meter making them the authors.

*Note. When a man votes for (against) the author he just says: "I believe (don't believe) this man being the author of the map because...". Possible positive arguments might be: "... his name is listed in the map", "... I know the author personally", "... I see how often he makes new versions of the map and updates them here on nibbits", "... the map author provided me indisputable evidences which I don't want to reveal". Possible negative arguments might be: "... the map doesn't lists anyone (or lists the other people) in the description", "... I am the real maker of the map and claim the authorship; here are the other versions of the map with my name which prove that, also I am constantly making newer versions and here they are; also here I provide the other arguments this map is mine".

**Note. The philosophy behind this is that it is the author's problems to find a couple of people to vote for him, but not to endure voting everyone for everyone races with, God forfend, the total confusion in the end. It is even might be considered for the man to have a little XP loss for the authorship vote!

"I bet at this stage we could code a better Starcraft engine from scratch ourselves. :P" - Tuxlar
    Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    wormer
    Realm:
    US East
  • Also, with the connection to the latter post let me post a suggestion on Bnet profiles verification here.

How it works:
    1. Each person can verify the other person's Bnet account on a given gateway (see *Note). [s]The verifier gains no XP points again and possibly even losses few.[/s] (If the verification requires request from the person you will verify then the verifier may gain XP.)
    2. On the profile page the list of the verifiers (accomplished) is provided near each Bnet account.
    3. A person may claim the given Bnet account is wrong, because it is his account.
    4. Accounts with such claims appear on the moderators page. Moderators may negotiate on the date/time of the verification and verify the account themselves.
    5. After the real Bnet account holder is found out the moderator may apply measures to the stealer's nibbits account as well as nibbits accounts which have verified him (if any).
    6. That way all Bnet accounts split on the next groups (from the most confidence to the least): G0 = "the Bnet account is the account of a moderator", G1 = "the Bnet account is verified by a Bnet account from G0", G2 = "the Bnet account is verified by a Bnet account from G1 or by a Bnet account from G2", G3 = "the account is verified by at least one Bnet account, which is not in G0, G1 or G2", G4 = "the Bnet account is not verified by anyone".

*Note. There is a button on each nibbits account for people to request the given Bnet account verification from this person. The receiver may agree to verify the account: in response he pushes a special button which generates a message template with verification code the first person must tell him on Bnet, with a form to fill the proposed time and date of their meeting and with possible comments. People may further exchange private messages until they come to an agreement about the time and date of the meeting.

"I bet at this stage we could code a better Starcraft engine from scratch ourselves. :P" - Tuxlar
    Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    wormer
    Realm:
    US East

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: